Sunday, September 16, 2018

Embrace Your Passions

Embrace being different.  Embrace what makes you different.  Embrace the strengths you bring to the table.  Build a school culture around the passion of the people in the school. As a principal of a school and as an avid learner, I want those I work with to follow their passions and create an exciting and engaging environment for everyone in the school.

As a child, I didn't want to seem different, so I often went along with the group when it came to activities and my desire to learn.  This peer pressure is often associated with kids or teens.  However, this thinking creeps into our adult life also.  The pressure is to go to the middle.  Don't be great, be just be good enough.

During High School, I was passionate about football.  That was an acceptable passion to have from my peer group.  As a result, I excelled in football and learned a tremendous amount about leadership and teamwork.  I found a passion and it made me a better person.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the same for learning.  Overall, I was a good student.  However, I wasn't a great learner.  The best example is that I wanted to be bilingual since I was very young.  In High School, I took Spanish I and then Spanish II.  Then I quit.  No real reason, I just didn't continue.  I had enough credit for what I needed for going to college.  I got through on the bare minimum.  That would truly be OK if it wasn't a passion of mine. So why did I quit?  This is where the push to the middle happens.  This isn't to blame my friends.  In fact, many of them went on to Spanish III. However, taking Spanish and learning Spanish are two very different things.  I simply didn't want to admit that I wanted to learn something that others didn't have the same passion for.   Interestingly, I think some of my friends may have had the same interest, but we never talked about it, so I'm not really sure what they thought.

The push to the middle is powerful.  I've seen many great people who resist the push to the middle.  It's amazing, we all have tremendous respect and admiration for these people, and yet some of us never want to take the steps to be different than the group.

So here are some ideas to embrace your passion and help others embrace their passions:

1. Talk about your passions - Make your passion public.  Others may want to help you or may have contacts that could benefit you.  Talking about your passions also makes it more acceptable for others to talk about their passions.  You might soon find out the other person's passions.

2. Speak with passion - Let there be no mistake of what you are passionate about.

3. Encourage others in their passion - When a student or a peer share their passions with you, encourage them.  Never be the person who diminishes someone's passion.

4. Celebrate - When you reach a goal, make it public.  When others reach a goal, celebrate.

Passion will push you to an incredible school culture and learning environment. People who work in their passion areas are going to perform better and be happier.  Giving teachers and students time to talk about what they are excited about in an encouraging environment will lead to amazing results!!!

No comments: